DELIGHT

Where the Unlikely Electric is Found...

9:03 PM

BORDER HOPPING this Weekend :)

Posted by Heather Arney |




Just after Christmas time I had the opportunity to go and spend some time hanging out with teenagers in an orphanage in a village a few hours south of the border. My church has a long standing connection with the caretakers at the orphanage, and the children and teens there. A phenomenal person from my church, with a heart for God and His people, has been making trips down there for years and years, with his family members and folks from my church.
Going down there a few months ago was amazing. Not because I thought, "Oh wow, I've accomplished some great construction-y (just made that a word) task, or because I felt "spiritual" being on a missions trip. It was delightful because the family who ran the place, and the teens there, were so full of life and joy, were so giving, had such beautiful hearts, were so thankful, and had a fiery passion in their hearts for God - and it was cool just spending time with them, and learing from them. We did some minor construction tasks, and then spent a lot of time just hanging out (and eating tacos.) I ate more tacos than would be appropriate to tell you, I played like a maniac, and ultimately got my butt kicked in a soccer game (the U.S.A. kids vs. The Real Soccer Players), and got a chance to worship alongside (and be completely humbled by) the youth and surrounding community in their simple one room church.
In the last few months, the person from my church would jet down there to visit or do construction work, and would offer me a spot in his minivan to join the group of folks going down there. Having little time that I could take off from work, I haven't gone back, until....THIS COMING WEEKEND! We are just going down for the long weekend - leaving Friday night and coming back Monday. I'm not excited because I think I'm "going on a missions trip," but because I'm excited to go and hang out with fabulous and authentic people - see familiar faces, worship alongside of them, and simply hang out. I pray that God uses it as a teaching opportunity, and that He opens my eyes to new things...plus last time a group from my church went down there, they built a little house for "Nana." Nana is the beautiful resident grandma, who had a tiny tiny space to lay her head before this new little place. She is so giving and selfless, and so this weekend will also be a time to celebrate her, and her new little place!
Get reaaddddyy for a LONG car drive down!!! Will maybe post some photos, post trip. :)
Happy Long Weekend to you all.

3 comments:

The Bright Side said...

Hey! Wow that sounds awesome!!! So, I cant wait to hear about your trip now, what an amazing opportunity. :) I hope things in CA are going well! I love your profile pic, I think I took it, hehe. :)

Heather Arney said...

Kristin my dear!
Hey :) You can now read about the latest adventures in Mexico, as I've posted a few thoughts, anyway. How in the world are you doing now being over in Spain? How is the adventure so far?

Heather Arney said...

oops wrong country for you, sorry....getting ahead of myself.

Post a Comment

Subscribe