DELIGHT

Where the Unlikely Electric is Found...

8:29 PM

"I Reach Your Hand to be Your Clay"

Posted by Heather Arney |

May 31, 2010

There was a time that I zealously typed out my brain-wave blog posts in Word (or in the ghetto-my-computer-didn't-come-with-word-alternative), but sadly I have been reduced to a dead-virus laiden-laptop, and am living on the edge, typing as I go on a roomie's Mac. How daring you say?? ;)

It's okay - there are seasons for all sorts of things...and I don't mind so much being out of the tech season in my life, because seemingly God has graciously been blooming a different kind of season in my life as of late. I won't pretend that I have majestically arrived at a spiritual mountain top, or hold any new keys of wisdom....only that God has made me hungry, and it is very humbling. Not humbling in that I feel bad, or not good enough, but hungry and humbled in a beautiful and delightful way. Crazy to say, but maybe for the first time ever in my life, God really has my attention. Yes, I have been a Christian for many years, but I'm trying to unpack what all that means. God has me on the edge of my seat these days - all I want to figure out and know is how all this works, more of who He is, more of His heart. I want to know Him in a way I have never known Him before. It's like I'm sitting having coffee, reading the Bible, and hanging expectantly, waiting for conversation back from Him...I think that is how it is supposed to be, but not how I have lived.

I would say one of the greatest things I am being challenged I with and am working through, and learning about is the great power that Jesus, through the Spirit had, and what He did while on the earth. Jesus taught and healed so many people - so neat to see these two things hand in hand.

John 14:12-17 say this: "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you."

So as I read stories out of the Gospels, they come to life in a new way - they aren't just stories, they are powerful ways in which Jesus, and other believers broughts refreshment and healing through the power of the Holy Spirit, in peoples' lives. What do I do with the verses above that tell me that through His Spirit I can and will be able to do the things that Jesus has even done and more. Do I believe that? What faith it takes to believe this, and to start walking in this. I think right now I am asking God to show me/teach me about such faith, such faith to believe that He can use me in whatever way He wishes, because of the power through Christ and the Holy Spirit. Because of the Holy Spirit, we as Christians harbor so much power to be used by Him in great ways...Lord teach me, Lord teach us all.

These few lines above don't even scratch the surface of what I feel I am learning about lately, or what questions jump around in my mind, like a crazy monkey on a trampoline. (Fantastic visual image, huh? I try) ;) And so as not to ramble past what is needed, I will simply implore you to go to www.artakiane.com to experience something quite unique and amazing. This last week someone told me about a brilliant young girl, who encountered God at a very young age, and who, unexplainably (aka, ONLY through God), has been given the gifts of writing through poetry, and of art, through painting and drawing, FAR FAR beyond her years. Her story is astounding, and I've been munching down on her poetry book I'm borrowing, called, "My Dream is Bigger Than I." You don't even really have to be a lover of poetry (lucky me that I am), to be TOTALLY blown away by the truths this girl imparts/communicates, and the depth that she has, at such a young age.

I leave you with just a taste of her poetry:

CLAY

Cocoons got hardened in the weathered clay.
My day is bound. I cannot talk.
The time I breathe, and the time I race.
Tonight the wind begins to walk.

Far away, no one sees my eyes.
I sing to paper butterflies to stay alive.
Far away, I hear someone love.
I will not leave until my time.

Like naked pine trees fall in ocean roots,
I fall without my shadow in the smell of rain.
Like newborn butterflies reach wooden flutes,
I reach your hand to be your clay.


The Waiting

In the distance
the scenery watches me
and teaches me
how to wait.

One foot--barefoot.
The other--still in a cast.
The waiting landscapes
my heart.

Rain
will stop
when my planted sycamore is grown.

1 comments:

Adam said...

Beautiful poetry! I'm reading more of this author as we speak

Post a Comment

Subscribe