DELIGHT

Where the Unlikely Electric is Found...

12:03 PM

WHY IS THIS OKAY??!

Posted by Heather Arney |

July 4, 2009
Rarely, am I on my "high-horse" about something....and perhaps I should be even more informed before mounting this said horse... But on this 4th of July, where we are supposedly celebrating independence and freedom in America, I am reading an article about Fresno Police repeatedly beating a homeless man. The outrage and sadness that I immediately feel inside, obviously is not one held by some people in governement, or by the people who are "supposed to be" the peace keepers, the advocates and law enforcers in our city. Apparently police officer is not equated with justice-minded advocate.
I must be just finding out about the beating, because I've been crazy busy, or I'm living under a rock - I'm not sure which it is. It happened in February and this man is just having a hearing now. Read:
Glen Beaty, the homeless man seen in a video being beaten by a Fresno Police officer, had a hearing in court yesterday (Thursday, July 2). Beaty, who has been in jail for almost 5 months, has not been charged with a crime in that incident. The court ordered him to be sent to the Atascadero State Mental Hospital. For more details, go to: http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/07/03/18605566.php For background about this situation, see: http://www.indybay.org/Boldnewsitems/2009/06/10/18601228.php
Make sure you go to the second link, especially, as that gives you background on the case. Hmm, the homeless man, although mentally un-well, refused to take medication unless he knew what it was. I am pretty sure anyone would say the same thing. Let's keep a homeless man locked up in jail for 5 months...simply because he's homeless and living on the streets? How about we keep those two police officers who beat the crap out of Mr. Beaty, in jail for 5 months? I'd feel a lot safer about that! Unjust, hurtful, and unfair to Mr. Beaty, and dishonoring to God. I thought that every person had worth, even if considered "the least of these." Mr. Beaty is loved by God so much so...and it must break his heart to see people in positions of power, abuse that power, and hurt those weak and downtrodden.
Anyone have any thoughts? As I watch fireworks tonight, I'm honestly sure I'll be thinking of this man in jail, and feeling disillusioned and jaded with our system of justice in our country. I know I know...Heather this happens ALL the time! This is just one of a million instances and stories of injustice in our nation. I understand that...but somehow each story deserves a place to be shared for what it is.
Thank you Mike Rhodes for opening our eyes, and for continually bringing forth news for us to read that we may not get the full scoop on otherwise...
Mike Rhodes
EditorCommunity Alliance newspaper
P.O. Box 5077Fresno Ca 93755
(559) 978-4502 (cell) (559) 226-3962 (fax)
editor@fresnoalliance.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe